KSUT News Reporter/Producer
KSUT, an NPR Member Station serving southwest Colorado and the Four Corners region with two unique stations, seeks a full-time Reporter/Producer to contribute news to our on-air and digital platforms.
About KSUT Public Radio
KSUT is an independent non-profit with two services: Four Corners Public Radio and Tribal Radio. Our signals cover more than 100,000 people across parts of four states. Our offices and studios are in a new, state-of-the-art facility in Ignacio, Colorado. Four Corners Public Radio airs NPR News, variety programs, and a "Music Discovery" format. Tribal Radio airs Native and Indigenous music, news, and culture.
Life in the Area
We live, work, and play in a spectacular natural setting. It's abundant in outdoor recreation (hiking, rafting, skiing) and exploration (archaeology, dark skies, live music). Durango is the region's population and commerce center, home to 20,000 people, Fort Lewis College, and a vibrant arts and food scene. Other towns in the area offer a quiet, rural lifestyle.
KSUT Public Radio is looking for a creative and motivated Reporter/Producer. The ideal candidate can produce audio news stories, in-depth features, and interviews. They're comfortable covering various topics. They can gather web assets and create basic online versions for selected stories. They can occasionally produce and host our weekly news magazine, Four Corners Edition.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research and produce stories for on-air and digital platforms
- Conduct pre-recorded and live interviews.
- Occasionally produce and host the weekly news magazine.
- Report from the field during breaking news events.
- Pitch story ideas and work with editors on story development.
- Attend community outreach events and content partner meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- One year of on-air experience
- Two years of professional journalism experience (broadcast or digital/print)
- Excellent news judgment
- Multi-track audio editing experience
- 4-year college degree, or equivalent work experience in journalism, mass communications, or another related field.
- Public radio experience.
- Ability to use broadcast studio consoles and microphones
Compensation & Benefits
$37,000/year + generous medical, dental, and vision. Operational IRA and life insurance. (Employees contribute approximately 20% of medical benefits.)
April 30, 2022
The Reporter/Producer is expected to live within the Four Corners region. Most of their work can be performed remotely. They may be asked to travel to the KSUT studios occasionally to conduct in-studio interviews, host on-air news programs, and attend staff meetings.
Commitment to Diversity and Racial Equity
KSUT is an equal opportunity employer. The organization is dedicated to building a culturally diverse staff and creating a working environment that promotes racial equity and inclusiveness. We believe attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our communities and fulfilling our mission. Women, Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities and veterans are highly encouraged to apply.
Full Job Description:
KSUT Reporter/Producer (Updated March 29, 2022)