KSUT News Reporter/Producer
KSUT, an NPR Member Station serving southwest Colorado and the Four Corners region with two unique stations, seeks a Reporter/Producer to contribute news to both our on-air and digital platforms.
About KSUT Public Radio
KSUT is an independent non-profit with two distinct radio services: Four Corners Public Radio and Tribal Radio. Our signals cover more than 100,000 people across parts of four states. Our offices and studios are located in a new, state-of-the-art facility in Ignacio, Colorado. Four Corners Public Radio airs NPR News, variety programs, and a “Music Discovery” format. Tribal Radio airs Native and Indigenous music, news, and culture.
Life in the Area
We live, work, and play in a spectacular natural setting. It’s abundant in outdoor recreation (hiking, rafting, skiing) and exploration (archaeology, art galleries, live music). Durango is the region’s population and commerce center, home to 20,000 people, Fort Lewis College, and a vibrant arts and food scene. Other towns in the area offer a quiet, rural lifestyle.
KSUT Public Radio is looking for a creative and motivated Reporter/Producer. The ideal candidate can produce audio and news stories, in-depth features, and interviews. They’re comfortable covering various topics. They can gather web assets and create basic online versions for feature stories and interviews. They can occasionally produce and host our weekly news magazine, Four Corners Edition.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research and produce feature and spot news stories for on-air and digital platforms.
- Conduct pre-recorded interviews.
- Occasionally produce and host Four Corners Edition, our weekly news magazine.
- Report from the field during breaking news events such as wildfires.
- Pitch story ideas and work with editors on each story process.
- Attend community outreach events and content partner meetings.
Other duties as assigned.
- One year of broadcast media experience
- Two years of professional journalism experience (broadcast or digital/print).
- Excellent news judgment and a commitment to ethical journalism.
Ability to use multi-track audio editing software such as Adobe Audition.
- A 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience in journalism, mass communications, or a closely-related field.
- Public radio experience.
Experience using broadcast studio consoles.
Compensation and Benefits
$37,000-$40,000/year, depending on experience. Plus, a generous medical, dental, and vision plan. Benefits also include an operational IRA and life insurance. (Employees contribute approximately 20% of medical benefits.)
Please send the following materials to KSUT Executive Director Tami Graham:
- Your resume.
- A cover letter detailing what you believe you can offer this position.
- Three professional references.
At least two samples demonstrating both your audio journalism and writing skills.
July 1, 2022
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Reporter/Producer is expected to live within the Four Corners region. They will perform most of their work remotely. They may be expected to travel to the KSUT studios in Ignacio, Colorado, on occasion to conduct in-studio interviews, host on-air news programs, and attend staff meetings.
KSUT Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer. The organization is committed to building a culturally-diverse staff and creating a working environment that promotes racial equity and inclusiveness. We believe attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our communities and fulfilling our mission. Women, Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC), LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Annual EEO Reports